Postcard Press Picks:
For Traveling to Paris
Paris is one of the most popular cities in the world. From the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame to the Louvre and the Arc de Triomphe to the Moulin Rouge and more, there is so much to experience. On the surface, it’s a breathtaking city, but when you dig a little deeper, you’ll find thousands of years of history and culture to explore.
Because there is so much to do, it may be a little overwhelming. But if you want to plan the perfect trip to Paris, you need to know exactly what you want out of it. Do you want to experience the city like a local? Do you want to learn more about its history? Do you want to immerse yourself in art and architecture? Or maybe you want to eat, drink, and write like the famous artists and authors of the past? After all, there’s a reason Paris has always been a destination for those seeking creative inspiration.
No matter what you’re looking for, you can find it in Paris. You just have to know what you want, and then how to get it. That means doing your research. So, for this Postcard Press Picks, we’re focusing on this glorious city—instead of the entire country—so you can start planning the most rewarding trip for you.
Paris is a bustling metropolis with must-see sights and experiences around every corner. Grab your favorite travel guide, and start deciding on the big, must-do activities you want to add to your itinerary. Then, turn to the internet to make sure they’ll be worth it!
- Museums. Gardens. Architecture. And shopping. Just a few of Fodor’s 25 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris: https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/experiences/news/photos/20-ultimate-things-to-do-in-paris.
- The Crazy Tourist has their own list of the 75 Best Things to Do in Paris. As with most must-see lists, you’ll see some overlap, but a lot of new sites too: https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/experiences/news/photos/20-ultimate-things-to-do-in-paris.
- Paris can be a very expensive city. Get the most out of your trip—and give your wallet a break—with these 20 Free Things to Do in Paris from MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld: https://maketimetoseetheworld.com/20-free-things-to-do-in-paris/.
- First time visiting Paris? Our Escape Clause has put together The Perfect 3 Days in Paris Itinerary for First-Timers, so you can make sure you don’t miss the highlights. This itinerary also provides some great practical information: https://www.ourescapeclause.com/3-days-in-paris-itinerary/.
The must-see attractions are important but they aren’t the only things worth experiencing. You have to get off the beaten path to immerse yourself in a destination and ensure a rewarding journey. With such a rich and storied history, Paris is a treasure trove of hidden gems.
- Some must-see attractions can be a little overrated, and you don’t want to get caught up in the throngs of tourists. Condé Nast Traveler notes not only what to skip but also what to do instead, in their 10 Best Things to Do in Paris (And What Not to Do): https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-10-15/10-things-not-to-do-in-paris.
- Theatre in Paris has its own list of 25 Unusual Things to Do in Paris, providing alternatives to the well-trodden path. The Women of Paris tour definitely seems like a unique and intriguing experience to check out: https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/paris-france!
- On The Luce can help you get off the beaten path with these Alternative Things to Do in Paris: https://www.ontheluce.com/alternative-things-to-do-in-paris/
- Want to take a deep dive into this culturally-rich city? Culture Trip has found some of The Best Cultural Tours in Paris with a variety of options to satisfy any traveler’s interests: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/paris/articles/the-best-cultural-tours-in-paris-unique-views-of-the-city-of-lights/.
- As always, Atlas Obscura is a go-to source for hidden gems. Check out some of these Unusual Attractions in Paris: https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/paris-france.
Don’t forget about the food! Anywhere you go, the local staples are a great way to learn about the city’s culture and people. Paris offers a variety of culinary delights that you must try.
- Want to know where and what to eat in Paris? Wanderlust Crew helps out with both in their 25 Foods You HAVE to Try in Paris: https://wanderlustcrew.com/paris-food/.
- Paris Food Affair is an entire site dedicated to all the food Paris has to offer. Spend some time looking around here, and definitely check out:
- Eating on a Budget: 7 Fantastic Paris Meals Under 20€: http://www.parisfoodaffair.com/eating-cheap-paris-under-20/
- The Ultimate Guide to Classic French Restaurants & Bistros in Paris: http://www.parisfoodaffair.com/food-lovers-guide-to-classic-french-bistros-in-paris/
- Top Ten Must Eat Foods in Paris: http://www.parisfoodaffair.com/
You could easily spend an entire week in Paris and not see everything, but sometimes, staying in one place for too long can get a little monotonous. When you plan to be in one place for multiple days, think about breaking up the time with a day trip or two. Luckily, Paris provides many opportunities to explore beyond the city limits.
- There are plenty of day trip options from Paris; Follow Me Away has The Very Best Day Trips from Paris and How to Get There: https://www.followmeaway.com/best-day-trips-from-paris/.
- The Savvy Backpacker offers their picks for The 9 Best Day Trips from Paris: https://thesavvybackpacker.com/city-guide/day-trips-paris/.
- And The Crazy Tourist explores the 15 Best Day Trips from Paris: https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-day-trips-paris/.
When you travel anywhere, it’s important to do your research, so you’re not caught off guard or unaware of basic (but important!) information about your destination. It’s all part of being a respectful traveler.
- Culture Trip provides 15 Paris Travel Tips That Might Save Your Life with good advice for any traveler: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/paris/articles/15-paris-travel-tips-that-might-save-your-life/.
- The best tips tend to come from locals or those who have actually visited. LifeHacker has compiled The Best Paris Tips from Our Readers: https://lifehacker.com/the-best-paris-tips-from-our-readers-1823596244.
- Lonely Planet’s Essential Information is always a good place to find answers to most of your questions so that you can be better prepared for your trip: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/paris/essential-information.
- Want to be an environmentally-conscious traveler? Check out Culture Trip’s Eco-Friendly Traveller’s Guide to Paris: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/paris/articles/an-eco-friendly-travellers-guide-to-paris/.
Have you been to Paris? What was your favorite experience? What tips and advice would you offer your fellow travelers? Let us know below!